Birjo Must, Äripäev Online
Among Estonian entrepreneurs, the protection of ideas is not particularly widespread as a patent or utility model; in addition, there is not enough knowledge and skills to invent something new. "The idea behind the patent is to create a new value and you do not always have to invent a bike, sometimes ...
"The patent idea is to create a new value, sometimes, it is enough to add a new nuance or commercial idea to refresh the existing product," said Traugott Läänmäe, Head of the Physics and Electrical Expertise Department of the Patent Office.
According to him, there is no product that can be sold for a very long time without further developing it. "At the same time, with very small resources, it is possible to become a market leader," added Läänmäe.
The legal protection of industrial property, on his assertion, gives him confidence in the business and a competitive advantage, which should be protected before the product is placed on the market or disclosed.
The company receives protection against copying
According to Aare Lessuk, laboratory manager of AS E-Betoonelement factories, the competitive advantage of the invention is the protection as a utility model. "It protects against copying, and competitors can not just do exactly the same thing," he explained.
Protected ideas from E-Betoonelement have been developed by company engineers and have not been collaborated with research organizations, but in some cases it may be necessary, he added.
According to Lessuk,
E-Betoonelement was not thinking about selling and benefiting from protected ideas, but the invention is used only internally.
According to the head of the construction company AS Amhold, Arvu Mägi, mass production companies are indispensable to protect their own solutions.
The invention keeps the spirit alive
According to Mägi, Amhold's patenting of technical solutions and knowledge of other patents has become one of the usual parts of engineering work.
"The main goal is the creative process itself, and the fact that competitors will not block the company's activities by not patenting fundamental solutions through patents," he said.
"In Estonia, as a rule, we are applying for a utility model of protection, but in the countries of the European Union we are developing patents," he explained.
In recent years, activity has risen
In Estonia, the process of applying for the protection of intellectual property is normally organized, but it is unreasonably long-term.
According to Läänmäe, the need to protect inventions has become actively sought after in the last couple of years.
STEP BY STEP
1. Creating an idea of value for a business is based on three skills:
The successful idea of developing a product or service (working with and analyzing information) - the ability to read industrial property documents - Problem solving skills, or how to invent, so that the invention benefits
the ability to read industrial property documents
- Problem solving skills, or how to invent, so that the invention benefits
2. The ability of an innovative idea or new product to make a profit. If you do a new way of things, you might find something better than your original goal.
3. An analysis of the product or service's past evolution in order to find the direction of further development that would allow the creation of a product that "speaks for itself" would be the key to profit making.
4. Customize your intellectual property strategy and need to protect your business needs. An intelligent idea is important for business development.
5. Innovative smart product development can link marketing and investment capital.
6. When considering the idea, then thinking of the solution, take into account the details, they determine the success of the product - uniqueness, utility, functionality, commercial idea.
7. The use of a designer only at the end of the product development process does not lead to success, collaboration between the designer and the engineer is successful.
8. Check if the features of the new idea match the features of the patent or utility model.
9. Search for solutions similar to databases that are already protected or for which applications have been submitted.
10. Keep track of product development and competition in your market niche. Make background studies and ask for an application form to be solicited by an expert at the Patent Office.
11. Find out how to get benefits (EAS).
Source: Traugott Läänmäe
Protected objects of the invention
Method - processes, technologies, measurement, control and signal processing methods used in production.
Device - machinery, apparatus, systems, tools, means of transport, building structures, consumer goods, parts with their own independent function, circuit diagrams, circuits.
Substance - materials, foodstuffs, individual compounds, drugs. The patent can also protect the combination of all three of the aforementioned objects of the invention, including a biological agent.
Forms of legal protection of inventions
The patent is valid in Estonia and in most countries for up to 20 years, and it extends to five years.
The same invention is protected as a utility model, such as a patent.
A state fee has to be paid upon filing a utility model registration application
Protected industrial property value
All trademarks, industrial designs, geographical indications, utility models and patents are part of the company's intangible assets on the company's balance sheet.
WHAT IS WHAT
Breakthrough potential patent
Makes product or technology more effective about 1.5 times.
It is useful in many ways, it is useful in a market niche, there is a new commercial sense.
Responding to consumer and market expectations - this should create collaboration, be a smart product with practical output.
Important in the development of a company or its strategy or in the development of a product that gives it a significant competitive advantage.
A breakthrough utility model
there are many benefits.
Corresponds to consumer and market expectations.
Distinguish from an earlier product - it's better or a continuation of branding, a marketing-friendly solution.
A useful model with an inventive step that will meet patent protection requirements.