16 nominees were submitted to the contest of the Concrete Building of the Year 2012 organised by the Estonian Concrete Society (ECS) and the Association of Construction Material Producers of Estonia (ACMPE).
“This year there are some truly remarkable concrete buildings among the nominees that highlight different properties of concrete as an easily moldable and very durable construction material," said Vaido Leosk, the chairperson of ECS. “We are especially happy to see that the buildings submitted to the contest are from very different places all over Estonia,” he added.
The nominees of the Concrete Building of the Year 2012 are:
1. Concrete sculptures in front of Paide and Särevere school buildings of Järva County Vocational Training Centre;
2. Administration building of Eesti Energia Õlitööstus AS;
3. Private residence in Haabersti;
4. Kukemõisa Guest House in Järva County;
5. Lilleküla pedestrian underpass;
6. Production and storehouse of Loodus Invest AS;
7. Overpass at the eastern part of Muuga port;
8. Semi-detached house in Tartu;
9. Crypt and columbarium of St. Paul’s church;
10. Rimi shopping centre in Laagri;
11. Production building of Saajos AS;
12. Reconstruction of the seaplane hangars at Tallinn Seaplane Harbour for the exhibition building of the Estonian Maritime Museum;
13. Reconstruction of Tallinn TV Tower;
14. Automotive training workshop at Tartu Vocational Education Centre;
15. New building of Narva College of the University of Tartu;
16. Construction of stormwater recipient system at Ülemiste junction .
“This time the contest will be very close as there are many refined buildings and facilities competing," said Peeter Kokk, the CEO of ECS. “The jury will start work in January, " he added.
The Grand Prize goes to the author of the winning idea. The winner will be announced on the National Concrete Day in March 2013.
Tartu University Vocational Education Center Car Study Area
Viaduct of the eastern part of Muuga Harbor
Narva College, University of Tartu
Betoonskulpturrid Järvamaa Kutsehariduskeskuses