19 buildings were submitted to the competition "Concrete construction of the year 2017" organized by the Estonian Concrete Association and the Estonian Building Materials Manufacturers Association.
Concrete as the most widely used domestic building material has been widely used in the last year, "said Tiit Roots, Chairman of the Board of the Estonian Concrete Company. "There are a lot of outstanding buildings and facilities where concrete plays an important role," Roots added.
The board of the Estonian Concrete Association confirmed all 19 constructions that were nominated for the "Concrete Building of the Year 2017" competition.
"Concrete building of the year 2017" candidates for the title: industrial, commercial, agricultural and office buildings, private houses, apartment buildings, health centers, "said Toomas Vainola, Executive Director of Estonian Concrete Association. "But also a modern museum and zoo, a nursing home, a tram system with a tunnel, a school classroom, a renovated old concrete building."
According to Vainola, the nominees display quite a lot of multiplicity of opportunities of today's Estonian construction market.
Applicants for the tilte of concrete building of the year 2017
1. Alter Group commercial building – Võru tn 162, Tartu;
2. Aravete Agro silo storage – Mägise küla, Ambla vald, Järvamaa;
3. Balti jaama market – Kopli 1, Põhja-Tallinn, Tallinn;
4. Office building – Peterburi tee 2F, Lasnamäe, Tallinn;
5. Residential building in Kangru small town – Kullerkupu 23, Kangru small town, Kiili municipality, Harju county;
6 Residential building in Viimsi – Viimsi municipality, Harju county;
7. Film museum – Pirita road 64, Tallinn;
8. Care home Skärvet – Växjö, Sweden;
9. Apartmentbuilding – Pikk tn 43, 45, 47, Tartu;
10. Warehouse Hotel - Allika Industrial Park, Angerja road 42, Harku municipality, Harju county;
11. Luther Business House Machine Shop - Luther Business House, Vana-Lõuna 39/1, Tallinn;
12. Mustamäe Health center- Ehitajate road 27, Mustamäe, Tallinn
13. Rocca al Mare School Outdoor Classroom Ateena - Vabaõhumuuseumi road 8, Haabersti, Tallinn;
14. Stera production building - Allika Industrial Park, Angerja road 53, Harku municipality, Harju county;
15. Infrastructure for the tram line at Tallinn Airport - Lasnamäe, Tallinn;
16. Exhibition of polar bears in the Zoo of Tallinn - Paldiski road 145, Haabersti, Tallinn;
17. Veerenni Health Center - Veerenni 53A, Tallinn;
18. Teachers' Home - Uuslinna 3a, Lasnamäe, Tallinn.
19. Commercial Building with Parking House - Mustamäe road 3, Kristiine, Tallinn.
The Concrete building of the year 2017
Care home in Skärvet;Apartment buildings in Tartu; Mustamäe Health center
Look also: 2017 nominees
The aim of the competition is to find and highlight the buildings, whose appearance and effective and economical performance demonstrate the advantages and potential of concrete as a domestic material.
The object or procedure wins, where a significant contribution has been made to the work of registered traders in Estonia and concrete materials delivered from Estonia. When choosing a winning work, it is also taken into account the professionalism and the level of competence, quality and innovation of the design and construction of the object.
The main prize belongs to the author of the work. Special marking for winning object´s customer, designer, builder, concrete and formwork supplier.
The jury of the competition for the eighteenth time will be represented by representatives of the Estonian Association of Architects, the Estonian Concrete Association, the Estonian Construction Entrepreneurs Association, the Estonian Association of Civil Engineers, the Association of Estonian Construction Consultancy Companies, the Estonian Building Materials Manufacturers Association, the Kunda NordicTsemendi and the construction journalists.
The jury will start its work in January.
The winner will be announced on the Concrete Day on March 14, 2018.
Source: Estonian Concrete Association